Tuesday 5 November 2013

Singapore ITU Triathlon/ Lantau ITU Triathlon & Winter time (sort of...)

Coming back to KL wasn't exactly "easy".
With the -7:00ish time zone difference +having said it was the furthest I'd ever travelled so far ment craving food at 3am and drooling throughout the day. I've learnt the joys of jetlag!
Well, it wouldn't of been so bad if I hadn't caught what seemed like Steve's flu on the way back, on the flight. It dragged on for a week and a half, which was quite the worry to be, with Singapore ITU Triathlon up next the following week. I could feel the weekend crawling in and did whatever I could to speed up my recovery, as well as regain my fitness. It was expected to be my first "proper" Olympic Distance race in the Elites.

However, a "not so favourable" swim lead me out of a small group of 4-5. I felt so fatigued to the bones from the start to the end of the swim, as well as the run into transition. I felt frozen in the 35°C heat blasts. A good transition gave me a good lead out onto the bike, but before half of the first bike loop, I found myself dropped off of the group and cruising (which still felt endlessly fatiguing) back for a DNF (sadly, yes another). Instead, I watched from behind the barriers and cheered as my teammates flew by.
The outcome probably had to do with a combination of exhaustion from the racing, travelling, but most probably with the flu.

I think Steve and I did an amazing job spreading the virus.


It took a while, but things started falling back into place and I was able to resume with my training.

A few good weeks passed and Lantau ITU Triathlon (Hong Kong) was up next. Another Elite (OD distance) and finale to my 2013 year.
Things flowed a little smoother, at least compared to Singapore, and I was out of the swim with 2 behind me, but the lead group too far to chase throughout the 870m run into transition. Yes! Blimming 870m! The tendons in my feet grew sore and stung, running through hard surface with nothing but a carpet between my feet and tarmac.
Scenic 870m run at least!

It wasn't long before I was caught on the bike by the 2, and reeled in another ahead to have a group of 4. We worked together throughout the loops consisted of a climb, descent, u-turn, back up the climb and down to repeat 7 times. Absolutely leg crushing. It was all teeth gritting the entire way through just to hang on to them. I pat myself on the back for managing to put out such a workload.
Off the bike, we were into a flat but 30%+ soft grass/dirt surfaced 10km run.
The legs were shattered from the all-out ride and the ache in the foot tendons jumped right back. For the first 1k I thought I would have needed to pull up, but fortunately enough it faded away by the end of the first lap. Getting some feet strengthening work in the future wouldn't kill!

At the end, I'm please with being able to give it my all in this race, especially win the run after smashing the bike! Much has been learnt. More yet still to learn.

Time spent now is on resting hard with the difficult task of putting my leg up, before getting back to start the 2014 season! Hoping for a good, strong "winter" training..

Thank you all for such a great support this year! It's been a wonderful season with many opportunities. I (and my team) are a very lucky bunch, especially thanks to TIME dotcom for such an amazing support!
Huge thanks also to:
-FHL/CEEPO for such an amazing weapon, plus the great services!
-AirasiaX for flights! (need I say more?)
-Rudy Project Malaysia for you know, epic sunglasses and comfy/aero helmets
-K-swiss for all the sweet kits
-DSA for the great support with training facilities as well as support in racing abroad
-Powerbar for powerbars
-TIME dotcom again, for the debt-owing support!!
-Of course, Mr. Lumley for putting it all together :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment